Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Injured…

Being injured, physically that is, is as good a topic as any to launch my first blog. It’s also a very relevant topic to me, because at the moment I am dealing with a lower back injury. I will be the first to admit I received this injury through my own sheer will to blindly push myself beyond my means and against my better judgment.
 Don’t get me wrong, I am not against pushing or testing one’s limits. In fact, pushing my limits and seeing what I am capable of is one of the reasons I enjoy workout so much. The real reason I got injured was not merely because I was pushing myself, it’s because I was pushing myself against my better judgment and against my body’s signals of fatigue. What I have relearned from this injury among other things is you need to be smart about your limits. For example, pushing yourself to engage in a movement such as a heavy snatch that needs a great amount of mental and physical fortitude when you are already exhausted is not a smart idea, which is basically what I did to injure myself.
 The build up to my injury goes like this; first workout of the day: AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible) in 15 minutes of; run 200 meters, 10 push presses and 10 dead lifts at 135 pounds. Next, I rested for two hours. Then, I went back to the gym to hit my second workout of the day; heavy clean and jerks. I was feeling slightly fatigued but, I shrugged it off decided to go heavy anyways. I finished my sets off with one rep at 195 pounds. I set the bar down and with rubbery legs I walked over to my water bottle. I went to grab it and…whoosh, a sudden rush of excruciating pain washed over me radiating from my lower back. I crumbled to the ground in agony, trying to do anything that might alleviate some of the pain. It was not use, so I just lay there. After a while I painfully got up and went home. Needless to say I push myself beyond my means and definitely against my better judgment. Looking back I should have never hit that second workout in my fatigued condition. I had already trained three days that week and my body was in need of some serious rest. 
Some key take away from my story; first, be smart think about each movement. It is so easy to get caught up in the excitement and adrenaline surge that comes with doing an intense workout. You must always be mindful. Be safe and focus on what you are doing now, not what’s next. Second, know your limits. Know what you are capable of. If you are just starting out in the CF workout game work within your limits take that extra breath when you need it. Once you’ve evolved into a more advanced athlete you can start testing your limits. All the while knowing what those limits are and pushing them in a safe and constructive manner. Third, be mindful of your body and its signals. If you are paying attention, your body will relay important messages such as soreness and pain. It is important to not just push through these signals but, address them. This is especially important during a workout, if you are starting to feel some pain, stop and back off of that area. Another important body signal to be mindful of is fatigue. Take the proper steps to let your body recover and heal. Lastly, if you do get injured (and hopefully you don’t), take care of it the right way. Go to the doctor, R.I.C.E it (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation), get physical therapy if needed, once its better do light recovery exercises, because if you don’t take care of it now, it could develop into a chronic lifelong injury. Remember; be smart, know your limits, be mindful of your body and its signals, take care of you injuries the right way and have fun in your workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment