Friday, November 12, 2010

Back in the Saddle

It feels great to be back working out again after my injury. My lower back injury sidelined me for three months, but now with the assistance of my sports medicine doctors, the support of my family, friends and gym I am back to training. As I have painstakingly found out, getting my lower back, back into shape was no easy task.
                The recovery process in my mind seemed like an eternity but, in retrospect it had only been three months. One of the reasons I think it seems like an eternity is because I was so used to working out four or five days a week. Working out was one of the fun main staples in my weekly routine.  With my back injury, suddenly I could not go to the gym, and my workouts consisted of light stretching and being wary of any movement that might re-injure my back. As my recovery progressed I was able to start incorporating more functional movements into my recover training, instead of merely stretching. I vividly remember the first time my back felt strong enough to perform a full range of motion air squat. I was so thrilled just to be able to preform the movement that it made me realize how grateful I was for the simple and small things in life that I had taken for granted before my injury.
Being injured left me with a great deal of time on my hands because I was physically limited from the sports and other activities that I used to be able to do.  Since I could not workout I went by the gym and started help out a bit with coaching. I found coaching to be a fun and constructive outlet. I enjoyed spending my time and energy helping and motivating others. It definitely beat sitting on the couch and watching some rubbish TV program. Coaching was also a valuable learning opportunity. I learned some great teaching cues and techniques that I have started to implement as I continue to help out.
Dealing with my injury has had its good and bad moments but, I am choosing to see it as a blessing in disguise. I have learned a great deal about myself and I have gained useful experience that with be invaluable to me as I continue on. To take a piece of advice from kettlebell training; you must control the kettlebell, the kettlebell does not control you. The same is true in life and dealing with an injury. You must control and manage it, do not let it control and manage you.

No comments:

Post a Comment